ALPTREES uses iNaturalist platform to collect non-native trees abundance in the Alpine space both forest and urban environment
Climate change represent a major threat to forests and urban environment. Non-native tree species can support adaption of forests and urban areas, but also can cause problems in case of invasive species.
ALPTREES objective is to develop a comprehensive database on non-native tree species, predicting the current and potential distribution of non-native trees in the Alpine space under climate change scenarios.
To provide a transnational strategy for a Decision Support System on responsible use and management of non-native tree species.
To improve knowledge-based decision-making tools that allow stakeholders in the sectors forestry, nature conservation, timber industry and rural & urban planning to distinguish between the negative and positive impacts of non-native tree species on ecosystem services and functional needs in urban, peri-urban and rural areas.
Learn more about the project: https://www.alpine-space.eu/projects/alptrees/en/home
How to participate
2) Make a photo of a tree you suspect to be non-native and upload to iNaturalist.
- You can take a photo within iNaturalist app or select one from your photo gallery
- You can have several pictures of the same tree, focusing on the most recognizable parts: flowers, leaves, seeds, bark, crown shape. Please read ALPTREES handbook on non-native tree species for more information.
- No problem if the tree you captured is native. It will be sorted out later.
- The application will suggest you several names based on image recognition algorithm. You can select one from the list or suggest a name based on your experience. As only the photo uploaded, community will help to give a consistent opinion on the tree species name.
- uploading can be delayed until you are in a WiFi zone.
3) enjoy common efforts to collect information on tree species diversity in the mobile and web platform
- Leader board
- Tree species information
Mobile application is available in multiple languages, incl. English, French, Italian, German, Slovene.
Photo camera with GPS location recording, e.g. cellphone