FLAMENCO’s valorisation strategy includes six valorisation trajectories:
- Establishing the reconfigurable citizen observatory platform itself;
- Engaging citizens and creating improved awareness w.r.t. the data gathered;
- Designing successful participatory campaigns;
- Translating data into knowledge useable for policy support;
- Real-world campaigning, including campaign outcomes and;
- Paving the way for post-project.
The goal of FLAMENCO is to build and valorise an open reusable and reconfigurable citizen observatory platform for Flanders. Through this platform, (ICT-agnostic) stakeholders themselves can instantiate new citizen observatories for the particular application area they have in mind. Web services and mobile apps are generated accordingly. Data gathered involves sensorial data (e.g., noise levels, physical activity) as well as behavioural data (e.g., tolerance for delays in public transportation or sensitivity to public safety). In this scalable approach stakeholders see their concerns translated into procedures for successful participatory campaigning without having to rely on platform engineers. Only in this way can we move away from research-oriented deployments to the full-fledged adoption of citizen observatories as a societally and scientifically relevant method.
How to participate
The FLAMENCO platform enables everyone to create their own citizen observatories. Creating a citizen observatory is done through an intuitive visual drag-and-drop interface. Design a customised mobile data collection app, analyse data using our fully automated algorithms, and visualise data in real-time on a web-based dashboard.
A citizen observatory is a community-based environmental monitoring and information system. FLAMENCO enables you to easily deploy your own observatory, including:
- Customizable data collection app
- Persistent data storage in the cloud
- Data processing and analysis in the cloud
- Dashboard with real-time data visualisations
Although the FLAMENCO project has finished, the platform is continuously being developed at www.weave.ly.