EU-Citizen.Science Workroom - Citizen science clinic
July 13, 2021, 8:21 a.m.
In June and July 2021, Ecsite and the EU-Citizen.Science project organised a citizen science clinic, a workroom dedicated to the impacts of citizen science.
Participants had the chance to learn from citizen science experts from around the world and work on real case studies. Through a series of structured exercises and interactions with other participants, they reflected on strategies to guarantee impact in their citizen science project.
The three sessions included a mix of formats, keynotes, inspirational cases, hands-on workshops to address the implementation of impact assessment frameworks, good practices, and financial sustainability strategies.
Each week, a plenary session has been broadcasted on YouTube to be accessible to the whole community:
Day 1: Inspiring stories
Keynote from Anne Bowser, Director of Innovation at the Wilson Center, Washington, DC
Day 2: Impact assessment frameworks
Panel of different impact assessment frameworks
Day 3: Financial sustainability
Keynote from Linden Farrer, Project Officer at the European Commission, on the financial options for Citizen Science projects in Horizon Europe
Programme of the three sessions:
DAY 1: INSPIRING STORIES
- Keynote from Anne Bowser, Director of Innovation at the Wilson Center, Washington, DC
- Project presentations: Guillem Camprodon from Making sense: Societal impact Aitana Oltra from Mosquito Alert: Scientific impact Dilek Fraisl from IIASA: Citizen science and the SDGs Anna Berti Suman from Tilburg Institute for Law, Technology, and Society: Political impact
DAY 2: IMPACT ASSESSMENT FRAMEWORKS
- Panel of different impact assessment frameworks:
Barbara Kieslinger from ZSI
Antonella Passani from Action
Stephen Parkinson from MICS
DAY 3: FINANCIAL SUSTAINABILITY
- Keynote from Linden Farrer, Project Officer at the European Commission, on the financial options for Citizen Science projects in Horizon Europe
- Panel presentation of different business model types that can sustain citizen science initiatives: Rosa Arias from Science for Change: Creating a start-up - a path towards sustainability of CS projects Norbert Steinhaus from Bonn Science Shop: sustainability of Citizen Science through science shops Marco Sebastionnelli from Plusvalue: impact investing and links with citizen science